Young’s Motorsports Race Preview
NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series News and Notes
Event: Digital Ally 250
Date: Friday, May 10, 2019
Venue: Kansas Speedway
OverkillRV.com Chevrolet Silverado
• This Week’s Young’s Motorsports’ Chevrolet Silverado at the Kansas Speedway … Gus Dean will pilot Chassis No. 020 in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Digital Ally 250 at the Kansas Speedway. The Jeff Stankiewicz-led team last unloaded this Young’s Motorsports-prepared chassis at the Texas Motor Speedway on March 29, where it finished in the 29th-place after starting in the 26th-place in the chassis third appearance of the 2019 NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series season. Chassis No. 020 has history at the Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway, and the Las Vegas (Nev.) Motor Speedway with Dean.
• Sunflower State Statistics … This weekend marks Gus Dean’s first Kansas Speedway appearance with the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series. The Bluffton, S.C., native has three starts in the ARCA (Automobile Racing Club of America) Racing Series at the Kansas Speedway. He made his track debut on October 14, 2016 in the ARCA Racing Series.
• Speedway Stats: In four combined NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series starts on speedways (tracks 1 to 2-miles in length), Gus Dean has an average finish of 20.0.
• Atop the Pit Box: Jeff Stankiewicz … Jeff Stankiewicz, crew chief of the No. 12 OverkillRV.com Chevrolet Silverado, has five starts at the Kansas City, Kan., facility in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series, including one top-five finish and two top-10 finishes. He maintains the highest average finish (10.4) of the Young’s Motorsports crew chiefs at the Kansas Speedway. Stankiewicz also has one start at the Kansas Speedway in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS). In addition, Stankiewicz has two victories in the ARCA Racing Series at the 1.5-mile tri-oval track.
• In the Rearview Mirror: Dover International Speedway … Gus Dean, driver of the No. 12 OverkillRV.com Chevrolet Silverado for Young’s Motorsports, finished in the 14th-place in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series JEGS 200 at the Dover International Speedway on Friday, May 3. The 24-year old started in the 18th-place in his debut at the Dover, Del.,-facility. Dean finished Stage 1 in the 19th-place, on Lap 45, and at the end of Stage 2, on Lap 90, he was still in the 19th-place. He posted his career-best finish in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series with the 14th-place finish, and it was Dean’s third top-15 finish of the 2019 season.
• Season-to-date … Through the first six NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series races of the 2019 season, Gus Dean has completed 647 of 972 laps contested (66.6 percent), and is currently 14th in the driver point standings, and 21st in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series owner points. In addition, the Young’s Motorsports driver has spent 163 laps running in the top 15 and has made 213 green-flag passes thus far this season.
• Young’s Motorsports’ NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series History at the Kansas Speedway … This weekend will mark Young’s Motorsports’ eighth, ninth, and tenth NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series (NGOTS) starts at the Kansas City, Kan., facility. The organization posted a team best finish of 11th-place with driver Tyler Young on May 6, 2016. The seven previous starts at the one-mile track have earned Young’s Motorsports an average starting position of 17.1 and an average finish of 18.0.
• Young’s Motorsports’ NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series History … Since entering the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series in 2012, the Mooresville, N.C.,-based organization has logged 180 starts from 24 drivers, resulting in solid performances that include three top-five finishes and 20 top-10 finishes, yielding an average starting position of 19.8 and an average finishing position of 19.2.
• Putting the Young in Young’s Motorsports … Young’s Motorsports team principal Tyler Young has four starts in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series at the Kansas Speedway.
• Meet Young’s Motorsports’ Drivers … Spencer Boyd, Gus Dean, and Tyler Dippel will participate in an open garage with the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (CT) on Friday, May 10 at the Kansas Speedway.
• Follow Young’s Motorsports on Social Media … To keep up-to-date with the latest news, information and exclusive content, visit Young’s Motorsports’ Twitter page – @youngsmtrsports, and on Instagram at @youngsmotorsports. “Like” Young’s Motorsports on the official Facebook page at /youngsmotorsports.
• Also, follow the Young’s Motorsports drivers on their personal Twitter pages – @SpencerBoyd, @GusDean, and @Tyler_Dippel. You can also “like” Spencer Boyd on his official Facebook page at Facebook.com/spencerboydracingfanpage, Gus Dean on his official Facebook page at Facebook.com/gusdeanracing and Tyler Dippel on his official Facebook page at Facebook.com/TylerDippelRacing. In addition, catch our drivers on Instagram at @spencerboydpr, @gusdean and @tylerdippel.
• Catch the Action … The Digital Ally 250 will be broadcast live on FS1 and the FOX Sports app. on Friday, May 10 starting with NASCAR Raceday NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series at 8:00 p.m. (ET). It will also broadcast live at 8:00 p.m. (ET) on the Motor Racing Network (MRN) and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. Qualifying for the seventh event of the 2019 NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series schedule will air on Friday at 4:30 p.m. (ET) on FS1 and FOX Sports app.
The Digital Ally 250 at the Kansas Speedway will re-air on Saturday, May 11 at 6:00 a.m. (ET) on FS1 and the FOX Sports app., and again, on Sunday, May 12 at 6:30 a.m. (ET).
Quoting Gus Dean:
ON DOVER INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY: “It was a solid day for our No. 12 OverkillRV.com Chevrolet Silverado team. We made some good adjustments throughout the race, and our truck was pretty steady. We had a little luck play into our hands and we were able to bounce-back with a solid 14th-place finish – we just have to keep building.”
ON EARNING CAREER-BEST FINISH AT DOVER INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY: “It is good, but we need to do better and we will. Our Young’s Motorsports team is getting there. It is still very early in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series season, and I feel like we’ve bounced back from that stretch of racing and our No. 12 OverkillRV.com Chevrolet Silverado team will only continue to get better as we get into the summer months, and beyond.”
ON KANSAS SPEEDWAY: “I like the Kansas Speedway. I have ran there several times in the ARCA Racing Series, and I am hoping that some of that experience will help me adapt with our Chevrolet Silverado on Friday. The biggest thing about the Kansas Speedway is that it is a very weather-sensitive track. Even though we will practice and qualify during the day, we will race at night, so it will be important for Jeff (Stankiewicz, crew chief) and I to keep adjusting on the truck throughout the race to make sure we’re in a position to bring home a strong finish for our Young’s Motorsports team.”
ON MOTHER’S DAY WEEKEND: “My mom, Anne, is very special to me. She is one of my biggest supporters, and she is also one of my biggest critics. She keeps me grounded through tough situations, and I can’t imagine her not being a part of my racing career. I’m bummed that she won’t be at the Kansas Speedway with me this weekend, but I’ll race hard for her and all the Moms out there who sacrifice a lot in racing.”